Since Halloween is coming in a couple of weeks I thought I’d share a couple of ways to both recycle some of those nasty Styrofoam egg cartons and make a 2 Halloween decorations.
For these crafts, you need a clean egg carton. You can use either a Styrofoam or a cardboard one but if you want to hang your bats outside from the trees the Styrofoam ones will be better.
Egg Carton Bat
- Cut out three of the egg cups keeping them attached together.
- Cut out the front and back of the two outside cups by creating a
scallop shape. This will form your bat’s wings.
- Paint your bat black with craft paint. Again, if you want to hang
them outside, you will want to use waterproof paint.
- Once the paint is dry, you can paint on a scary face with white
paint or glue on googly eyes.
- Use a pair of scissors to poke a hole in the top of the middle cup.
- Take a piece of string and make a knot large enough that it won’t
pull through the hole and put the string in the hole.
Egg Carton Spider
- Cut out one of the egg cups from the carton.
- Paint your spider black and wait for it to dry. Paint on eyes or glue
googly eyes on him.
- Use the tip of pointed scissors to make four small holes on each side of
the egg cup.
- Insert a pipe cleaner in each of the holes and twist the pipe cleaners
from the inside to form a knot of sorts so the pipe cleaners do not come out
of the holes.
- Then bend the legs so your spider will stand on his own.